Welcome to my website! You’re now in the online home of Maren Kathleen Elliott and I’m pleased to have you visit.
If you’re here for the answer key to the EBA Open Studio ‘I Spy’ game hosted in my studio, I won’t keep you in suspense. Here is the key to unlock all the hidden features of my studio.
The list of I Spy items was full of eclectic pieces of who I am, what I create, and how I work. It’s a visual tour that lets you inside my creativity and my process. Let me break it down item by item for you.
1. A String Portrait. The portrait in question is ‘Ash’ and she is part of my Stringlism: Texture, Threads & Mapping Identity project (2016-2020) You can learn more about the series here.
2. A Pair of Black Stiletto Boots (Ankle). These are for dancing in: observe.
3. Mr. Tennis Ball. He’s a superstar! Watch him in action. Marvel at his modeling talents.
4. Four magpies. I love magpies and creating them as part of artworks resonates with me. Being from Edmonton, they are a reminder of home.
5. Two Aprons. Textile work can be messy. So can painting. Sometimes creating requires more than one apron.
6. Rosie the Riveter eating a sandwich. Even icons get hungry.
7. Two Sock Puppets. They’re delightful. Everyone should have sock puppet companions. Watch them in action!
8. Eight toilet paper rolls (empty). Art can be created out of virtually anything, including objects we often discard as waste. Sketches flourish on many surfaces.
9. My #1 and #2 fans. Make friends with the appliances that help you function. These ones have a lot of personality.
10. Maren’s dirty old purple Art Nikes. Trusted comfortable footwear is a must.
Thank you for joining me on this I Spy journey through my artistic space!